Coming from an empathetic place when communicating with your employees should always be a priority. In this video, BENCHMARQUE CEO Marlowe Bennett outlines five reasons empathy is crucial for hospitality operators.
1. It reduces turnover. Staff turnover is a critical challenge in the industry, and with the current skills shortage in the hospitality industry, high turnover is something that your business cannot afford.
2. It nurtures great leaders. Great leadership can be the difference between a successful one and one that fails. Operators must nurture their staff so they have the opportunity to grow into successful managers or leaders, and this begins with treating them as a person and not just a number.
3. It improves performance. How can you get more from your staff if you don't know what's holding them back? Be proactive and learn what makes them tick. Learn what they like and what they don't like about working for you.
4. It keeps your customers coming back. Happy staff equal happy customers and a better experience for your guests. If your employees feel they're listened to and valued at work, their positive energy will translate.
5. It will help your business grow. Your staff are your business. Treat your staff with empathy, equality and listen to feedback is smart business.
To learn how you can access motivated and skilled hospitality workforce, get in touch with BENCHMARQUE today.
With 22 years of experience and over 23,000 professional hours working across Sydney’s hospitality industry, our content aims to inspire young candidates to pursue professional careers and to help operators grow compliantly.