Discover Orazio D'Elia's risotto recipe in the second instalment of our all-new Pimp My Rice series.
Orazio is the Executive Head Chef and co-owner of Sydney's Matteo with two locations: Matteo Double Bay and more recently Matteo Downtown. and we had the pleasure of witnessing him create his simple risotto. Like our previous Humans of Hospo campaign, we've partnered with 5Why on this exciting new series to inspire successful hospitality careers and young chefs (or aspiring chefs) to pimp their rice at home.
In this series, we've asked three chefs with very different backgrounds and areas of expertise to create a simple, quick, and easy rice dish, using minimal ingredients with maximum taste.
Read on to learn how Orazio creates his Risotto Alla Parmigiana dish, all in under 15 minutes and for no more than $10. This quick and easy risotto is perfect for your pre-shift or post-shift meal for all you students and travellers on a budget!
"Today I'm going to show you how to cook a beautiful Risotto Alla Parmigiana"
The food concept of Matteo draws on Chef Orazio D'Elia's traditional Italian upbringing in Southern Italy, and his culinary and cultural journeys through regional Italy. D'Elia's food philosophy is to take simple and traditional dishes and execute them using exceptional ingredients.
Orazio's Risotto Alla Parmigiana recipe:
-Butter, chopped onion, rice
-Vegetable stock, salt, parmesan cheese
- Starting with a few cubes of butter, and some chopped onion on the stove, cook the ingredients nice and slowly.
- Next, add your uncooked rice in. Stir together and add the vegetable stock. (Pro tip: Orazio had his vegetable stock prepared and homemade but if you're on a budget, pick your stock up from the grocery store for under $1).
- Let the ingredients cook. While you wait and your ingredients simmer, add a generous pinch of salt slowly. This will take about 13 minutes to cook.
- After the rice is cooked, remove the pan and add more butter to make it nice and creamy.
- Finally, add the parmesan cheese, which is the key ingredient of the risotto dish. Give it a good stir and make sure that the consistency is nice and thick.
- Plate your risotto. Smack the bottom of the bowl a few times for presentation points.
And there you have Orazio's risotto recipe, that's very easy, simple, and delicious.
Check out the full video with step-by-step instructions here.
Follow Orazio's hospitality career on Instagram: @chef_orazio
After a hospitality career like Orazio's? Submit your details below and we'll connect you with Sydney's premier restaurants, bars, and events.