Discover Darwin Leonar's take on his Mum's fried rice recipe in the first instalment of our Pimp My Rice series.
Darwin is the Head Chef of Sydney's Banksia Bistro and we had the pleasure of witnessing him create his simple fried rice dish. Like our previous Humans of Hospo campaign, we've partnered with 5Why on this exciting new series to inspire successful hospitality careers and young chefs (or aspiring chefs) to pimp their rice at home.
In this series, we've asked three chefs with very different backgrounds and areas of expertise, to create a simple, quick, and easy rice dish, using minimal ingredients with maximum taste.
Read on to learn how Darwin creates his Mum's fried rice dish, all in under 15 minutes and for under $10. This quick and easy fried rice dish is perfect for your pre-shift or post-shift meal for all you students and travellers on a budget!
"Today we're just going to cook a simple fried rice, from my Mums recipe"
The Banksia Hotel is the home of the Banksia Bistro by Fassnidge serving up pub classics, done just a little differently.
Darwin's fried rice recipe:
-Garlic chilli, leeks, chives, XO sauce
-Shrimp, spam, eggs, rice
- First, heat oil in a large pan. Add the garlic chilli and give it a nice stir until the garlic is golden brown.
- Next, you add your eggs in. Stir the eggs and scrape the bottom of the pan because the eggs are going to stick.
- Next, you add your spam and your prawns. Just cook until the prawns are slightly cooked. And then add the cooked rice.
- Now once the rice is in, it's very important not to over-stir because you want to keep the pan hot. When the rice starts colouring a bit, that's when you add your XO sauce in.
- Give it a good mix. The XO sauce is just for some extra flavour. Then plate your dish and sprinkle the top with the leeks and chives, and a touch more of XO sauce on the top.
And there you have Darwin's friend rice from his Mum's recipe, that's very easy, simple, and delicious.
Check out the full video with step-by-step instructions here.
Follow Darwin's hospitality career on Instagram: @darwinleonarr
After a hospitality career like Darwin's? Submit your details below and we'll connect you with Sydney's premier restaurants, bars, and events.